PULLMAN - It may have looked erratic to those on hand Wednesday night. And, sure, those two…
For the first time in a scrimmage
this fall Akey got to see a healthy stop unit with defensive end Isaac
Brown back as well as tackles Tai Tupai, Steve Cook and Josh
Shavies. For the most part Akey was pleased with what he saw.
"What I liked most was that we
started to show a little personality as a defense," Akey said.
Akey specifically talked about a
goal line stand the No. 1 defense had against the No. 1 offense, Jason
David's 66-yard interception return and a time the No. 2 offense was in
field goal range but pushed back by the No. 2 defense, forcing Drew
Dunning to kick a 56-yard field goal which he missed.
four-minute drill both defenses did a great job of getting the offense stopped
enough times to intercept and score," Akey said. "The No. 2 defense got pushed
into field goal range but they pushed them right back out."
David's interception was picked from
back-up quarterback Josh Swogger. Swogger had a solid outing going
6-of-14 for 74 yards and the ball David intercepted looked like a perfect pass
until David struck like lightning.
were able to change the momentum several times tonight," Akey said.
Akey also had nothing but praise for his middle linebackers.
"Donnie Jackson has done a
great job and he has shown he can do a good job at that spot," Akey said.
"Brian (Hall) and (Aaron) Wagner both have improved. Brian Hall
has made some great hits, he's a hard worker. Aaron Wagner needs to get his pad
level down and his knees bent and (Scott) Davis just shows up wherever he
needs to be to make plays. Al (Genatone) just has a feel for the whole
THURSDAY PRACTICE NOTES
• Offensive lineman Billy Knotts was hit on the head and hurt his neck during Wednesday night's scrimmage and taken off the field. Knotts returned to practice Thursday.
• Also returning to practice was receiver Marty Martin after a sore thigh held him out of Wednesday night's scrimmage.
• Receiver Robert Franklin returned to action, participating in all the drills.
• Receiver Jevon Miller tore ligaments in his left thumb and is expected to be out 6-8 weeks. He has already had surgery on the thumb.
• Receiver Scott Lunde is questionable for the Idaho game with sore ribs.
• Running back Rafael Bolton tweaked his ankle during practice and was carried off the field.
• Running back Jermaine Green is still sitting out practice.
• Coaches did not make themselves available to talk to the media after practice.